Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Diet Rules From The Kitten-Eater

As of today, junk food, including pop, chips, chocolate bars, all of that stuff, has been banned in elementary schools in Ontario. This means that the kids are now forced to eat healthy. Soon, kids will be awake all day, and have the energy to show up for that fight in the parking lot the school bully challenged them to. That's good, right? Kids need to eat healthy. It helps them grow and learn. They don't really know what they're doing anyway. Most of them would end up eating rat poison if it was placed in front of them. Hurray for the government cleaning up kids' diets.

On the other hand, the next target is high schools. This poses a bigger problem for me. While it is still true that high school students need to eat healthy to learn and grow, and it would also help them stay awake through fifth period, it also takes away our choice. I am a high school student. My diet usually consists of french fries and a rootbeer. While this may not be the healthiest choice, it is one of the cheapest ones and most-filling. I also happen to like it. I, like thousands of other highschool students, am 18 years old. The government has decided that I'm old enough to make a decision about who should run the country and province, yet they don't think I'm old enough to make my own decisions about what to eat. Then adults (what am I again?) go and accuse me of not having my priorities straight. Perhaps the government could be spending more time on programs to get problem students interested in school, or homeless people off the streets and working, or even keeping our doctors in Canada. There are bigger problems in the country than what teenagers are eating. Why doesn't the government see this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home